Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8372) [RFC] Inline generator

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8372) [RFC] Inline generator
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 07:15:00 -0800

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 06:27:28PM -0800, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I'm pretty much in sync with Jason's sentiments so haven't
> added anything much to this. Generators add a layer of
> complexity. It is not clear they make things all that much
> easier or robust, and

> sertainly the complexity reduces flexibility and understanding.

I disagree with the flexibility. In contrast the extra layer of
indirection will add flexibility. I'm not sure what you mean with
understanding. Yes it hides and abstracts details. But this is a good
thing.

> Personally I think at the moment, generators are a new twist
> on the old 4GL fad in search of a problem to solve :-). But there
> is some underlying rationale for them and they are almost ready
> for primetime.

> The Groovy-Java hookup is the interesting idea of the moment and
> C++/Java vs Python/Perl are the sort two hard/prototype language
> ends one wants to hookup so lots of mundane code is trivially
> protoyped, written or co-genera<ted in one, and performance is
> handed off to the other partner. There is less generator writing of
> code and more optimal use of the coding language of choice for
> appropriate tasks, in my mind though.

While there were some attempts to provide an Python interface for
client-side AI none of this has reached a near-finished state. Why do
you think this is so?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Make a software that is foolproof, and only fools will want to use it.