Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: April 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8372) [RFC] Inline generator

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8372) [RFC] Inline generator
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 06:49:51 -0800

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 05:41:17PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> > [i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Sat Mar 27 06:48:15 2004]:
>
> > > that was solved a long time ago.
> >
> > But not here. What solutions do you know here?
>
> Funcational language features (like lisp macros) are the proper
> solution.  Rather than generators I'd suggest a functional preprocessor.

The problem I see is: provide a way to inline certain parts of the
code across multiple compilation units and do this in a way where this
is opaque to the programmer.

The one solution which comes this nearest are the multi-file
interprocedural optimizations of the intel compiler.

There are solutions which avoid some part of the problem by not having
seperate declarations. Java for example and also preprocess
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/preprocess/).

Can you explain in more detail what a functional preprocessor is?

> But I still believe it is a waste of time.

Quite possible.

BTW: this preprocess is the closest thing I found to what I have in mind.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  (On the statement print "42 monkeys"+"1 snake"): BTW, both perl and Python