Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) [FS#8] First public version

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) [FS#8] First public version
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 12:26:42 -0800

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 07:43:56AM -0800, Raimar Falke wrote:

You can't really do anything with this version. You have to have an
already started game and can just do turn-dones. So this version is
only a tech demo. So don't expect anything useful. It will also use a
lot of memory (leaks). And if you enable the screen dumper it will eat
your free disk space.

If you have a depth of 16 bit you win. With 24 bit if _may_ work.

There are some parts outside gui-fs which need changes. Jason can you
please take a look at these.

Also I want to move some code which I think is gui-in-depended out of
gui-fs. The functions get_{city,terrain,unit}_{info,tooltip}_text,
activity_turns, calc_effect, format_effect,
get_{city,unit}_action_tooltip and to some lesser extend fill_actions
come to mind. While no other gui uses these informations yet in this
form maybe they could start.

While one goal of the FS project is to make it easy to customize there
are some old parts (overview placement, log window, focus list) which
aren't. This will change. And also the scrollbars in the log window
will get pretty.

You may want to play with drag_factor and drag_granularity in
mapview.c. These will become client options at some time.

The patch will come in an extra email. Screenshots are available in
http://www.freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs8_pics/.

Now follows a quote of the readme.
Requirements
============

normal freeciv client requirements (libpng, libz,...)
libfreetype2
X11 or SDL (currently only 16 bit but this is because
            I can't test other depths)
the data (images, fonts and specs). Especially you need the
            verdana font (included in Windows).

Install
=======

$ ./autogen.sh --enable-client=fs:x11
  or
$ ./autogen.sh --enable-client=fs:sdl
  than
$ make

$ cd data
$ download themes.tar.gz from
  ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/contrib/graphics/FS/ or a similar place
$ tar xfvz themes.tar.gz
$ mkdir fonts; cd fonts
$ copy verdana.ttf and verdanab.ttf into this directory. If you don't
  find use another font and rename it or change the specs in themes/*
  which refer verdana.

Extra options
=============

Use "-d" to enable the screen dumper. Like in
$ ./civ -a -- -d

In Game
=======
  - <print screen> toggle screen dumper
  - <'> open the input dialog
  - <q> quit the client
  - <return> next turn
  mapview:
    - <drag RMB> move map
    - <click LMB> focus file

Thats it. Nothing more.

TODO
====

That list is long:
 - choose theme via command line
 - support multiple resolutions per theme
 - choose resolution via command line
 - choose drag factor, drag granularity via command line
 - support keyboard shortcuts
 - support UNICODE
 - support more backends
 - support more depth on the existing backend
 - create a backend with palette mode (no transparency, no AA)
 - find and remove the huge number of places which leaks memory
 - all the small bugs

And last but not least: code more freeciv specific screens.

Also very important are a _good_ free font, more graphics and more
screen designs.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on tape somewhere."