Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8164) building out of a builddir: generate_packets

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8164) building out of a builddir: generate_packets.py
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 23:22:23 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

> Release:
>   only one packets_gen.c in SRCDIR
>
> Development:
>   two packets_gen.c in SRCDIR and BUILDDIR
>   we want the one in BUILDDIR
>
> So if the search order is BUILDDIR,SRCDIR everything should be ok with
> simple "".

Hmm, sort of.

Note that you have the order backwards.  "" searches from back-to-front
while <> searches from front-to-back.  We'd need to have the includes as
SRCDIR,BUILDDIR.  However the BUILDDIR is already included at the
beginning so the includes would become BUILDDIR,SRCDIR,BUILDDIR.

Or to put it another way...

We would need to add $(top_builddir)/common at the end of the includes
for client/Makefile.am.  We'd also need to add $(builddir) at the end of
the includes as well, even though it's already included at the
*beginning* of the includes.  This keeps the .c files slightly cleaner
but makes the Makefile.am's work backwards.  IMO it's not as good.

But, I think it would work.

jason