Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8239) Speclist generator

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8239) Speclist generator
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 09:34:01 -0800

Raimar Falke wrote:

>>(Except perhaps that a generator'ed speclist header file is much easier to
>>read than speclist.h)
>
> You don't need to read speclist.h as a normal programmer.

That's not true.  Functions (like unit_list_init) are *only* documented
in speclist.h.  For most people reading the source code may not be very
helpful, however.  There are comments explaining the usage.

I'm not generally in favor of generators, but Per's right about the
problems with the current speclist system.  It is very clever, but still
a hack.  And using it requires some understanding of its cleverness,
which is time that could be spent elsewhere (of course all time is time
that could be spent elsewhere).

jason