Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8239) Speclist generator

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8239) Speclist generator
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 11:23:11 -0800

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 09:34:01AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> >>(Except perhaps that a generator'ed speclist header file is much easier to
> >>read than speclist.h)
> >
> > You don't need to read speclist.h as a normal programmer.
>
> That's not true.  Functions (like unit_list_init) are *only* documented
> in speclist.h.  For most people reading the source code may not be very
> helpful, however.  There are comments explaining the usage.

Ok but the docu is in comments. So you don't have to understand the
cpp magic.

> I'm not generally in favor of generators, but Per's right about the
> problems with the current speclist system.  It is very clever, but still
> a hack.  And using it requires some understanding of its cleverness,
> which is time that could be spent elsewhere (of course all time is time
> that could be spent elsewhere).

How much time do you need to need to get an overview of the functions
you get when you include speclist.h? How much time to add a new
function? I agree that it is magic. But the magic is already
there. You don't have to explain it nor do you have to recreate
it. You only have to scan it or do copy-paste-modify. Both actions are
easy.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Like the ad says, at 300 dpi you can tell she's wearing a