Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: March 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8263) GoTo using transports

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#8263) GoTo using transports
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 07:41:51 -0800

Christian Knoke wrote:

> CVS 21 MAR 2003 GTK 1.2
>
> Goto sends a unit beyond the target using goto route as a vector.
>
> I have:
>
>  0 1 2 3 4
>  G G G G G 0
>    C G G G 1
>    W T G G 2
>    W W W C 3
>
> (City, Water, Grassland, Transport (on water))
>
> a spy at 3/2 and send it to 1/1. Goto makes up a route over the transport.
> Spy enters ship. Then I move transport into city at 1/1. Next turn I find my
> spy at 0/0
>
> Can be reproduced from savegame by constructing an attack on Leva.

Naturally.

The easiest solution is for client-side goto not to use transports.

A better solution is to send more sanity information in the goto packet.
  E.g., for each move give not only the direction but also the starting
location.  If the starting location isn't right the move is canceled.

A similar solution is to add code in places where goto'd units may be
moved to cancel their orders.  I have no idea how many places this would be.

jason