Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] drawing tiles multiple times

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] drawing tiles multiple times
From: Jason Dorje Short <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:49:05 -0500

In the past it's been suggested that a tile could be drawn multiple times.

For instance if you have a 40x25 map and your mapview is 50 tiles wide, currently the extra 10 tiles are drawn black (at least they are supposed to be: it's easy to get bugs where junk gets drawn here). But if tiles were drawn multiple times then the 10 tiles on the left of the mapview would be shown in duplicate on the right.

In the above example there are no big advantages to drawing tiles multiple times. The only advantage is that you don't have the big black area on ths screen (which is ugly).

The main disadvantage to drawing multiple times is that it's hard to do right. In the past we'd have situations where the tile would be drawn multiple times, but only partially. Thus you'd get two copies of a unit but only one woudl blink. This was confusing. To do it correctly, both copies of the unit have to blink, and if you animate a unit both units need to be animated. If done properly, I think the main argument against doing this (that it is confusing to the player) will be moot.

So the question is, why would you want to draw tiles multiple times? With current topologies there's no reason why you need to do so. As long as you center properly on the current unit it will always be surrounded by a lot of properly drawn tiles. In almost all cases the mapview is much smaller than the map, so there is no issue whatsoever.

But consider an exotic topology in Marcelo's PR#7287 patch. In a quincuncial topology, there are tiles that are adjacent to themselves! That is, if you go northeast from (40,0) you wrap around to reach...(40,0). (These "singularities" are generally hidden in remote locations like the north and south poles.) If you only draw a tile once this gives you big problems. Imagine what happens if it *looks* like the map ends one tile north of your unit, but when you move north you end up being animated to the east. Very bizarre. I've looked at these maps, and it's incredibly confusing. But if you draw tiles multiple times everything becomes clear. Hopefully.

Marcelo's PR#7287 patch includes a full implementation for drawing tiles multiple times (actually only 1 extra wrap in each direction, so only up to 9 times AFAICT).

So I'd like to reopen the discussion on whether drawing tiles multiple times is forbidden.

jason