Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7390) python code generators and BUILT_SOURCES

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7390) python code generators and BUILT_SOURCES
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 18:20:49 -0800

Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> I ran across
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Sources.html#Sources
>
> where it explains dependency calculations and how they affect two-stage
> builds.
>
> It seems to me that a normal build (after a clean cvs checkout) succeeds
> only by chance; because the generator happens to be run first.  To
> formalize this perhaps a BUILT_SOURCES directive should be added.

Hmm.

Obviously a build of a clean cvs checkout will work, since the built
sources are included in it already.

What might fail is if you change packets.def and then recompile.  If it
so happens that (for instance) packets.o is compiled before
packets_gen.h, then the compilation may not be correct.  A second run of
"make" would be required to fix it.

jason