[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7129) server-side CMA uses bad parameters

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7129) server-side CMA uses bad parameters
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 15:01:25 -0800

On Tue, 27 Jan 2004, Jason Short wrote:
> What was the purpose of the code that was there before?
>
> 1.It uses pplayer->ai "priority" values.  This doesn't make much sense
> for human players.

Correct.

> 2.It adjusts these values at random.  What's up with this?

It is called "fine adjustments". They are _not_ random. I did extensive
testing to get them somewhat sane - although only from an AI perspective.

> With this patch everything is much happier.However if the minimums (+1
> food, +1 shield) cannot be reached the fallback is pretty poor.

You realize this fallback is very common?

> The code that is there now is unacceptable IMO. But it would be nice to
> know what its purpose is before changing it. I suspect that the AI
> "priority" values were being used for another purpose elsewhere and were
> conscripted into CM usage, with tweaks. This does not seem like a good
> idea!

Well. The AI priorities are meant to change AI behaviour on a global
scale, including worker placements. Eg when we no longer can research
anything useful, science priority drops to zero. When at all out war, in
the future, we should prioritize shields. Worker placement should reflect
this.

  - Per