[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7304) iso-map support for mapgen

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7304) iso-map support for mapgen
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 13:33:29 -0800

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004, Jason Short wrote:

> > [Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Sun Jan 25 19:48:22 2004]:
> >
> > Now, a big question.  I appreciate it's probably too late to ask it
> > and  that I possibly already asked it a couple of times.
> >
> > It seems that the default coordinates throughout Freeciv will be map
> > coordinates.  Why not native?  They are more "natural" for most things.
> > Where would you ever want to really use the map coordinates, apart from
> > adjacency calculations which can be hidden in few macros?
> >
> > In future, when compiled with DEBUG option, which coordinates will
> clients
> > display on middle-click?  They should be map coordinates (because such
> > things are used to locate units for debugging), but these would be very
> > hard to find on a map!
>
> Something like this is possible and _may_ be easier or faster.  But it
> will require a lot of auditing of the code.  Any place which fiddles
> with coordinates locally (and there are a lot) needs to do this in map
> coordinates.  So at a minimum it will require lots of auditing.

Yes, but there shouldn't be any place which fiddles with coordinates (like
adds numbers to them etc).  Any such thing should be done via macros.  But
such things do exist, I just discovered a fine example in make_river --
all those CAR_DIR_D[XY].

Anyway, this discussion does not preclude us from committing your mapgen
patch, when you've sorted the naming and spacing issues.

G.