[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7297) Caching map canvas

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7297) Caching map canvas
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 11:28:16 -0800

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Raimar Falke wrote:

> For iso tilesets the idea is to have a larger backing store. 9 times
> the place required for drawing the complete map. So around the primary
> instance of the map in the backing store you place 8 other copies of
> it around. At the border you do the correct overlapping drawing.

Clever.  But this won't work properly unless we allow drawing of multiple
tiles.  And it will still have problems if the mapview is larger than all
9 copies of the map (we can safely ignore this, I think).

The multiple-tiles thing is a problem.  It's easy to draw multiple tiles.
It's much harder to update them.  But with exactly 9 copies of the map it
would be easy - it's just that it would take 9x as long.

jason