[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7225) One free aggressive unit in Republic?

To: markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7225) One free aggressive unit in Republic?
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 06:56:44 -0800

On Fri, Jan 09, 2004 at 05:08:49AM -0800, Mark Metson wrote:

> I, I hope this is the right address for freeciv-dev, for some reason the
> mails labelled [freeciv-dev] are showing rt as the reply address and I am
> using reply to send this.
>
> I am using 1.14.1 on Redhat 8.0, installed from the RPM.
>
> I am a republic, with no happiness worders (I only have the Colossus,
> which I dont usually build but desperately needed in order to reach
> republic with researchcost set to 50).
>
> I am noticing that when I move chariots out of cities, they are not
> showing up with an unhappy face on their home city city-screen, and not
> causing unhappiness in their homecity. Not all of the chariots do this, so
> it looks like maybe I am allowed one free aggressive unit per city???
>
> If I move out a second unit, then I get the unhappiness.
>
> I cannot find anything in the docs that mentions allowing one free
> aggressive unit per city under a Republic? Is that normal? (Bug or
> feature???)

Ingame help:

Government -> Republic -> last chapter:
"The citizens of a city will tolerate 1 aggressive unit; subsequent
units will generate 1 unhappy citizen each."

So it is a well documented feature.

> By the way, I am trying to find a good level of researchcost higher than
> the default. I am finding that 50 is insane because despotism is really
> really really pathetic. Even building the colossus in my capital and using
> settlers from everywhere to max the cities near my capital it was still
> pathetic. I am thinking maybe it might be necessary, if one really wants
> to use hiugh researchcost, to adjust the penalties of despotisms slightly.
> I am wondering whether despotism is worse in the default ruleset than it
> was in, say, civ-I ???

I don't know how big the penalties from civ-I were. But i don't think that
money-corruption is much higher than in civ-I.

> I am also findign that the ability to buold coinage is essential, again
> due to having to remain in despotism so long and despotism being so very
> lousy. How balanced is despotism really? Does it have to be this lousy
> just to prevent its advantage of number of units supported from being too
> overpowering later on in the game when maybe some people might find it
> useful to wwitch to despotism in orer to carry out a war? Does anyone
> actually do that? Or is despotism just plain crippled?

Despotism is the starting government, slightly better than anarchy but
much worse than all other governments.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx