[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7225) One free aggressive unit in Republic?

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7225) One free aggressive unit in Republic?
From: "Mark Metson" <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 05:08:49 -0800

I, I hope this is the right address for freeciv-dev, for some reason the
mails labelled [freeciv-dev] are showing rt as the reply address and I am
using reply to send this.

I am using 1.14.1 on Redhat 8.0, installed from the RPM.

I am a republic, with no happiness worders (I only have the Colossus,
which I dont usually build but desperately needed in order to reach
republic with researchcost set to 50).

I am noticing that when I move chariots out of cities, they are not
showing up with an unhappy face on their home city city-screen, and not
causing unhappiness in their homecity. Not all of the chariots do this, so
it looks like maybe I am allowed one free aggressive unit per city???

If I move out a second unit, then I get the unhappiness.

I cannot find anything in the docs that mentions allowing one free
aggressive unit per city under a Republic? Is that normal? (Bug or
feature???)

By the way, I am trying to find a good level of researchcost higher than
the default. I am finding that 50 is insane because despotism is really
really really pathetic. Even building the colossus in my capital and using
settlers from everywhere to max the cities near my capital it was still
pathetic. I am thinking maybe it might be necessary, if one really wants
to use hiugh researchcost, to adjust the penalties of despotisms slightly.
I am wondering whether despotism is worse in the default ruleset than it
was in, say, civ-I ???

I am also findign that the ability to buold coinage is essential, again
due to having to remain in despotism so long and despotism being so very
lousy. How balanced is despotism really? Does it have to be this lousy
just to prevent its advantage of number of units supported from being too
overpowering later on in the game when maybe some people might find it
useful to wwitch to despotism in orer to carry out a war? Does anyone
actually do that? Or is despotism just plain crippled?

-MarkM-

--
Got a website? Get 10,000+ hits a day FREE...
http://makemoney.knotwork.com/10000hits/