[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7225) One free aggressive unit in Republic?

To: markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7225) One free aggressive unit in Republic?
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 09:03:28 -0800

Mark Metson wrote:

> I, I hope this is the right address for freeciv-dev, for some reason the
> mails labelled [freeciv-dev] are showing rt as the reply address and I am
> using reply to send this.

This is the e-mail address for the bug reporting system.  All e-mails
that have a PR# in the subject line are from RT.  It's forwarded through
freeciv-dev.

> I am noticing that when I move chariots out of cities, they are not
> showing up with an unhappy face on their home city city-screen, and not
> causing unhappiness in their homecity. Not all of the chariots do this, so
> it looks like maybe I am allowed one free aggressive unit per city???

Yep.

> I cannot find anything in the docs that mentions allowing one free
> aggressive unit per city under a Republic? Is that normal? (Bug or
> feature???)

 From help->government->republic:

Under the Republic, military units require 1 production shield each
for upkeep.  In addition the following units are considered
aggressive units:

- units with an attack strength greater than 0 which are not inside
a city or inside a fortress within 3 squares of a friendly city

- air units (including missiles and helicopters, but not fighters)
with an attack strength greater than 0, regardless of their location

The citizens of a city will tolerate 1 aggressive unit; subsequent
units will generate 1 unhappy citizen each.

> By the way, I am trying to find a good level of researchcost higher than
> the default. I am finding that 50 is insane because despotism is really
> really really pathetic. Even building the colossus in my capital and using
> settlers from everywhere to max the cities near my capital it was still
> pathetic. I am thinking maybe it might be necessary, if one really wants
> to use hiugh researchcost, to adjust the penalties of despotisms slightly.
> I am wondering whether despotism is worse in the default ruleset than it
> was in, say, civ-I ???

I suspect the penalties come from civ2.  You can compare the
data/default ruleset to data/civ1 and data/civ2.

jason