[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6945) Morale

To: az@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6945) Morale
From: "ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:20:58 -0800

On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:42:14PM -0800, Eugeny Korekin wrote:

> There's some thoughts about possible 'morale' implementation
> for freeciv. Even if there no place for such concept in
> default ruleset, I think, it should be useful for modpacks.
>
> 1) We can implement civ3-like 'retreat' option, so if one of
> fighting units has greater speed than other, it can retreat
> from fight, where it's hitpoints going to low.

In the current system after a fight 1 unit is dead (the attacker or the
defender) think changing that would make freeciv to another game. But
for non-default rulesets i think it should be possible to try that out.

The bonus you get is, that artillery units are possible and other units
which can attack but don't get damage during the attack. That's a
concept from many other games. But i think then the made damage should
be dependent from the current unit HP and not the full HP.

> 2) Every unit in ruleset can have some 'morale' index.
> When unit receives damages in fight, it's morale can
> be decreased according to some rules from ruleset.

Would be an additional feature of that system.

> 3) When morale of unit goes too low it must retreat from
> fight and run to nearest friendly town. Player cannot control
> that unit until unit reaches town.

Why not also changing site to the enemy? *g*

> 4) When unit retreats from fight because of low morale it receives
> additional damage, so low-morale-caused reatreat will be costly
> and may even lead to destruction of that unit,

Ok

> 5) There can be additional morale-affecting factors, defined in ruleset.
> For example, units of player with poor diplomatic reputations would
> receive some penalty on their morale, unit which stays in city with
> unhappy citizens will have morale penalty too. There can be buildings,
> units and wonders affecting morale too.

Ok

> Any suggestons about these ideas would be gladly appreciated.
> sorry for bad english.

Feel free to implement it. Think it would be fun to play a game like
that time by time.

Thomas
--
Thomas Strub  ***  eMail ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
jb: people are stupid, they don't want to learn.