[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6945) Morale

To: az@xxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6945) Morale
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2003 03:18:48 -0800

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 11:42:14PM -0800, Eugeny Korekin wrote:

> > There's some thoughts about possible 'morale' implementation
> > for freeciv. Even if there no place for such concept in
> > default ruleset, I think, it should be useful for modpacks.
> >
> > 1) We can implement civ3-like 'retreat' option, so if one of
> > fighting units has greater speed than other, it can retreat
> > from fight, where it's hitpoints going to low.
>
> In the current system after a fight 1 unit is dead (the attacker or the
> defender) think changing that would make freeciv to another game. But
> for non-default rulesets i think it should be possible to try that out.
>
> The bonus you get is, that artillery units are possible and other units
> which can attack but don't get damage during the attack. That's a
> concept from many other games. But i think then the made damage should
> be dependent from the current unit HP and not the full HP.

Being a terrible bore, I am generally opposed to any rule complications.
I sincerely believe that for a game to be fun, the rules do not have to be
vey elaborate.  I also believe that overly elaborate rules kill the fun of
the game.  Or at least make it too long, like civ3.

> > 2) Every unit in ruleset can have some 'morale' index.
> > When unit receives damages in fight, it's morale can
> > be decreased according to some rules from ruleset.
>
> Would be an additional feature of that system.

This morale is more or less expressed through veteran levels.  Veteran
levels can be decreased too, I think, when unit is nearly dead (so it has
to be refitted with conscripts).

The running away stuff is micromanagement I think.  Besides if the
conditions of "retreat" are met, it would usually mean that the unit is
nearly dead so a reasonable player would retreat the unit to the nearest
city anyway.

G.