[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6721) A Quincuncial topology
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:45:59 -0800

> [jdorje - Mar. Nov. 11 06:41:46 2003]:

> This topology is a crazy, kinda cool approximation of a sphere.  To get
> it to work we'd have to have something that I will call
> "mirror-wrapping".  For instance an 8x3 map that mirror-wrapped in the Y
> (north-south) direction would look like

God say!

> From a core-implementation point of view, the problems in implementing
> this haven't been well studied.  However I believe there will be a
> problem with many users of vectors.  For instance if you travel north
> from C=(2,0) it puts you at f=(2,-1) which normalizes to F=(5,0).  But
> to travel "backwards" from F to get to C is north, not south as it would
> be if the map was always well-oriented.  I'm pretty sure this will give
> problems with some parts of the code, particularly goto code.

First we need change some world before change the code.. no more Go Nort or
south but Go Top,
 Go Right, Go Bottom and Go Left

> From a user's point of view there are problems, however.  Back when we
> discussed approximations of a sphere I remember considering a wrapping
> like this, since it is the obvious way to simulate a pole.
> Unfortunately it breaks down since the wrapping itself is not symmetric,
> as I described above.  A unit at A will witness a different type of
> wrapping than a unit at D will.  In fact what a player at D will see is
> a singularity, since tile D borders itself.  This presents a roadblock
> that isn't fatal, but will probably prevent it from ever gaining
> widespread acceptance.

this problem are not so difficult for players if we make a freeciv server
 whith a map of real heart, the problems of the singulatity are near the
center of mirror, in the ocean!Players undestand this fast in my test.

> jason

Marcelo