[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2565) Plural form needed for unit types

To: freeciv@xxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#2565) Plural form needed for unit types
From: "Arnstein Lindgard" <a-l@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:05:15 -0800

Hello Naoki Takahashi,

Welcome as new translator! I'm curious about plural form in Japanese. We
don't have a generic framework for plural ('one Caravan' / 'one
Musketeers'), and I am writing a mass orders patch. My current grammar
contains code-mixed-English. Below is some output, with the variable
part of the sentence capitalized. Maybe you could point out what, if
anything, needs to be made more flexible in order to translate:

"1 settler UNIT IS building roads."
"2 settler UNITS ARE building roads."

"1 GOTO WAS cancelled to do this."
"2 GOTOS WERE cancelled to do this."

"1 musketeers UNIT IS fortifying."
"2 musketeers UNITS ARE fortifying."

"1 ironclad UNIT HAS BEEN sentried."
"2 ironclad UNITS WERE sentried."
"2 warships were sentried." (category)

Generally, can the rest of a sentence change a lot because of plural?
Also, is there any difference between 2 and more than 2?

If it gets complex I'll have to spell out a lot of sentences in the
patch, because of the many possible combinations of orders and ways
of selecting units. I think I have to change much of it for French
anyway.

Arnstein