[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 07:56:33 -0800

> True, it really is for Uranus-like behaviour, but there is no reason
> make it only for Uranus-like behaviour.
>
> Your concept of Uranus is rather limited. Don't assume or force
> restrictions
> when there is really no need to. Let the user decide what they want
> with at
> most defaults set to your limted view as a starter.
>
> In reality, Uranus would likely have a hot-cold pole that migrated
> around
> the world in sync with the yearly orbit and had nothing to do with the
> actual diurnal or planet rotational poles. When in the central part it
> would probably look like a standard map because the rotation would
> stop
> the (vertical) polar effect, but the angle of incidence of solar
> radiation
> at the edges would mean both rotational poles were colder than the
> central
> part of the planet. Thus the effect would be a migration from hot cold
> rotational poles (actually extending well down into the temperate
> zones)
> through a both cool or earth normal scenario to a cold hot state and
> back.

This is the right picture for Uranus, but I hope we will not try to get
an analogue of this into civ.

I personally think that N-S wrapping without E-W wrapping should be
ditched.  It's totally unphysical.  If a user wants something like this,
he can put his monitor on it's side.

Somewhat surprisingly, the doughnut world is more physical.  However, it
must have a pole (a single one), which corresponds to the "inside" of
the torus.

To summarize, I think the following is quite reasonable:
1. If haspoles = 0, there are no special arctic strip,
otherwise there is 1 or 2 arctic strips depending on whether we have or
have not the N-S wrap.
2. Separatepoles=1 is active only when we have poles and ensures that
each polar strip is a separate continent.

If anyone wants anything else, there is civworld.

Jason, does your patch handle single polar continent?
Ross, I fail to see the point of your criticism.  Are there any bugs in
Jason's code?  Is he not assigning continent numbers properly?  Do you
have a concrete proposal on how to make it better (if yes, you'd better
be ready to submit a patch)?  Otherwise please refrain from "no, Jason,
think, use your head" type of tone.  This is unpedagogical, to say the
least.

Best wishes,
G.