[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology
From: "Marcelo Burda" <mburda@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:06:15 -0800

Hello
> [glip - Lun. Nov. 10 18:47:41 2003]:
>
> After some thinking I now fully agree with Ross' position.  The option
> "haspoles" is completely unnecessary.
>
> The behaviour should be:
>
> * separatepoles = 1, N-S wrap off: two separate arctic continents

 in this case poles are not needed at all, we never play realy in this place
 if separatepoes = 1 and N-S non wrap, we need only a ocean tile at N and at S
of map.

> * separatepoles = 1, N-S wrap on : one separate arctic continent
That is ok, a pole and wrap on can play a interesting place in a war, the pole
is
2 tiles to forbide some one to make a city for alow naval unit to traverse it.
 or  more interesting the pole are composed by some  big island, artic tiles
not alow naval
unit to traverse but i can imagine underwater unit traverse ice or special unit
break ice.
a real pole are not all a continent, see the nort one of real Eart.
the a continus pole is too restrictif for naval units

> * separatepoles = 0, any wrap: no specially crafted separate arctic
> continents, but the normal continents will have colder terrain in extreme
> north and south coordinates (as in the other cases).

*separatepoles = 0, non wrap
I thincs is the more nice, first make the land then freeze it at poles.
 one day we can freeze the ocean too.

*separatepoles = 0, simple wrap
The torus are not a real planet we can make pole anyware, after make lands we
freez one or 2 cercles.

 Marcelo