[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6742) civclient memory leak

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6742) civclient memory leak
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:59:28 -0800

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:48:44AM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> Raimar Falke wrote:
>
> > We are down to 68313 bytes leaked in 5 turns. All more or less deep
> > within gtk/gdk/x11.
> >
> > I also started the client and open a lot of dialogs and closing
> > them. This resulted in a 900k leak. It is unknow if these are constant
> > leaks or if they happen every time this dialog is opened. Opening
> > dialogs is harder to reproduce then running 5 turns. To trace which
> > dialogs have problems I expanded the stack trace from 20 to 40. But
> > still no luck. I even tried "--num-callers=999999" but it looks like
> > the stack trace is limited to 50.
>
> Valgrind can usually tell if it is an actual leak ("definitely lost") or
> not.  It looks for pointers to the data to tell this.  Sometimes it gets
> confused ("possibly lost").  It doesn't report allocated-but-pointed-to
> data at all  (unless you tell it to).

I know. But for the growing memory usage of the client which the user
reported this doesn't make a difference.

Just for the record: this is the output of the 0 turn case (connect,
start the game, quit):

 LEAK SUMMARY:
    definitely lost: 28 bytes in 1 blocks.
    possibly lost:   800 bytes in 20 blocks.
    still reachable: 2369227 bytes in 23952 blocks.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Many of my assistants were fans of Tolkien, who wrote 'Lord of the Rings'