[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6735) Server crashed upgrading a frigate

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6735) Server crashed upgrading a frigate
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 04:18:50 -0800

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Jason Short wrote:

> >>No ruleset changes. We just check, when you want to upgrade, if transport
> >>is carrying more passengers than we could carry if we upgraded - if that
> >>is the case, no upgrade for you (for now).
> >

> > So this patch is a 4-liner?!
>
> Changes should be done in the client to disable the upgrade (disable the
> menu, and probably some changes to the units dialog) and to the server
> (with an error message).
>
> Attached patch (untested) mmakes the server change.  However I'd suggest
> a can_upgrade_unit() be added to common/unit.[ch] for use by the clients
> and one of the server functions (but not the other, which gives a
> specific error message).

Since upgrading must be done in a city, can we just automatically unload
all the units when we upgrade?  For how can you renovate a boat with all
the passengers on board?

Ok, this might annoy the user somewhat.  But not more than the proposed
solution ("help! why can I not upade this boat and can upgrade the boat of
the same type in another city??  It's a bug!!")

So ideally we would unload all units only if necessary, i.e. if the
capacity of the target type in insufficient.

G.

<rant>
  This idea of greying menus if evil.  I would rather have the menu
  enabled, try it and then get an explanotary error message.
</rant>