[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6735) Server crashed upgrading a frigate

To: rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6735) Server crashed upgrading a frigate
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 01:37:42 -0800

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Guest wrote:
> `get_transporter_occupancy(punit) <= get_transporter_capacity(punit)'
> failed.
> I think it is because I was upgrading a frigate 'populated' and
> sleeping in a city newly acquired from the ennemy.
> Was upgrading to destoyer.

Yes, this is a bug. A frigate has space for passengers, and your frigate
has one or more passengers, but the destroyer does not have any space for
passengers; but the transported_by field is not reset when you upgrade,
nor is it trivial to do so, since we might be upgrading in the middle of
the ocean due to Leonardo's.

I think the simplest solution to this problem is simply to ban upgrades of
transporters with passengers where the result is a unit with less
transport capacity than the number of passengers transported.

  - Per