Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6624) Disband city cleanup

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6624) Disband city cleanup
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:33:31 -0800

[per - Mon Oct 27 19:33:14 2003]:
> Do it wrong and get punished for it, and you learn to do it right. You
> learn to watch out for this kind of mistakes. Maybe this is when you
> learn how unit support works.
>
> Do it wrong and get saved by the game, and learn nothing and you grow
> to expect that the game will cuddle you from your own mistakes
> throughout.

While I think that is not a bad philosophy generally, where it gets
obnoxious for me is when I'm disbanding several cities (e.g., after
conquering a smallpox player) and two cities close to each other happen
to be disbanded on the same turn.  Generally, the settler formed from
the first city will be disbanded when the second city is disbanded.
Yes, I can check to see if that will occur, but that's what I consider
obnoxious micromanagement.

So, what I would rather see is an option where if any units would be
disbanded, the city is not disbanded and a warning message is generated.

--

++JohnWheeler