Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6630) Re: How hard would it be to make a "power map"?

To: berndj@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#6630) Re: How hard would it be to make a "power map"?
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:15:13 -0800

[jdorje - Fri Oct 24 19:16:58 2003]:

> Hmm, on further review I think this could be a very good thing for the
> overview.  If we gave a radio-selection of overview choices for the
> overview:
>
>    - Basic terrain, units, and cities (default/current)
>    - Military power grid
>    - Territory grid
>
> then toggling between them would just affect the behavior of the
> overview_tile_color() function.  But what other forms of information
> would people want to see?

I've been thinking about doing a "city planning" grid, where you can
mark squares as being future city sites, and then the area around them
would be highlighted.  (Current cities would also be highlighted, UNLESS
they were marked for disbanding.)  Preferably, even unknown squares
would be highlighted.  Other than those items, it would act like
pressing 't' in the gtk2 client when the pointer is over a city.

I think this would require more than just changes to
overview_tile_color(), but the future city flags could also be used by
automated settlers for building cities.

--

++JohnWheeler