Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6624) Disband city cleanup

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6624) Disband city cleanup
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:33:14 -0800

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Jason Short wrote:

> >>But the new behavior is to disband most of the supported units, right?
> >

> > s/most/all/
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Except for ones that happen to be in other cities; they'll be
> transferred to that city.I think.

Right. That's ok, I guess, since it is really an automatization of an
existing rule - you can rehome units that are in cities. The same happens
for cities taken by the enemy, so there is consistency.

(Why isn't this done by setting punit->homecity, instead of creating and
disbanding the unit? Such creation & disbanding can lose you the game with
gameloss units.)

> >>That's not so good either...
> >
> > Why? It is simple, predictible and intuitive.
>
> I can imagine most players would prefer not to lose their units. It
> would be easy enough to simply reassign support to the nearest owned city.

Do it wrong and get punished for it, and you learn to do it right. You
learn to watch out for this kind of mistakes. Maybe this is when you learn
how unit support works.

Do it wrong and get saved by the game, and learn nothing and you grow to
expect that the game will cuddle you from your own mistakes throughout.

  - Per