Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6566) Re: Re: Barbarians

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6566) Re: Re: Barbarians
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 07:43:13 -0700

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003, Christian Knoke wrote:
> Each barbarian horde can be conrolled by a seperate AI player.

This will a) consume a lot more CPU, setting up AI data for each barb
player each turn, and b) consume a lot more player slots. They
availability of barbs will be additionally be restricted by the
availability of player slots.

> When you play with normal AI players on the same continent from the
> beginning, they have a good balance between aggressiveness and coordinated
> settling and development, up to a certain point. When I play gen 1, I *have*
> to see for my defence. That makes me think that normal AI can be a quite
> good implementation for barbarians, more than the current one.

The current one is the normal AI, with a few shortcuts.

> Computer power shouldn't be the problem.

Oh? The AI is the single biggest consumer of CPU in the server by far. Are
you saying that the end of turn delay is of no importance?

  - Per