Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: add a 'topology' server variable allowing varied X and

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: add a 'topology' server variable allowing varied X and Y wrapping (PR#6287)
From: "rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 13:27:01 -0700

The comment still stands ... what is it that people want to put into the
longer explanation. Specifically, what is Per missing that he thinks his
comment addressed and didn't, obviously :-).

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Jason Short wrote:
> Ross Wetmore wrote:
>  > Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>  >
>  >> I'm afraid you will have to make a longer help entry here. It is not
>  >> obvious what a Uranus or donut map is like.
>
>>What more would you suggest other than the current wrapping descriptions
>>or simply stopping to think about what the surface of a donut would
>>actually look like.
>
> At the least we should have a reference to a longer explanation
> elsewhere.  And, we should write that explanation.
>
> doc/README?  doc/HOWTOPLAY?  doc/HACKING?  A URL?

I presume a section of one of the HowTos will document the gen-topology
patch and a lot of the hints that aren't commented in the code, or make
more sense from a user vs developer standpoint.

But this is not stuff for the server help file.

What is it that people want to see go into a (short) help description.

>>BTW, Uranus is actually quite well known for its uniqueness in rolling
>>around in its orbit as opposed the rest of the planets that spin
>>perpendicular to it.
>
> Indeed, although the average user may not make this connection (or even
> know about it).  Remember that the "typical" user may be 12 years old.
>
> jason

The typical 12 year old user really isn't going worry about the long
explanation. They are just going to try the various options and pick the
ones they think are "neat" :-).

Playing a standard world in a N-S orientation may be "neat" and really
doesn't take a lot of explanation over playing on a standard world in a
standard orientation :-).

Cheers,
RossW
=====