Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6384) settler 'connect' does not take the shortest

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6384) settler 'connect' does not take the shortest path
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 04:25:38 -0700

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003, Jason Short wrote:

> When I connect two locations with rail, the settlers does not generally
> choose the shortest path - either measured in time-to-build or in
> time-to-travel.  For instance when making a semi-long connection of
> railroad in a partially develeped area the settlers will often make
> unnessary railroads.

Path-finding is more than capable of fixing it, you can select that path
which is
(a) the shortest to travel  (good for roads)
(b) the fastest to build among those satisfying (a)

I haven't got time to do it though, but I could advise anyone who cares to
do it.

The big question is, should we do it in the client (and display the path
too)?

G.