Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6340) gtk2.0 / 1.14.1beta: item being produced sho

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6340) gtk2.0 / 1.14.1beta: item being produced should be first on queue
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:45:26 -0700

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Mike Kaufman wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 06:04:39AM -0700, Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa
> wrote:
> > > producing, and drag it up to the top of the worklist.  This is the
> > > single most annoying part of the new client -- and it's a regression
> > > from the older gtk client.
> >
> > This is temporary until worklists code changes so such hacks cease being
> > necessary. That may be post 1.14.1.
>
> i assume that you're talking about pcity->currently_building. That is a
> load of crap. Vasc, I think you need to take half an hour and explore this.
> I think you will find that the cure is worse than the disease.

Yes I am talking about that among other things. It is not a load of crap.
I had that code in the GTK+ 2.0 client and removed it because it is a buggy POS
to be polite.

Do you really think I am being unresponsive? Count the number of changes I
made to cater for user requests about the GTK+ 2.0 client. I made dozens
of changes since I first commited it, you know that. Some of those
requests were made by you. I want to do this code the right way. Is it
that hard to understand?

> Fixing it so that the current production is on top in the dialog takes
> what, 30 lines of code at most? The GTK1 dialog didn't have a problem with it.

Look at the GTK+ 1.0 code for that. It is braindamaged. Trying to kludge
around something like this is stupid in the extreme. It belongs in common/ not
in
the client code. Should hacks be added to all the clients for something
that belongs in common/?

The worklist API is braindead, simple as that. The model of the API is not
the same as the model people expect a worklist to behave like in the
client. You want to kludge around the API to make it so. An API we control.
That should tell you something.

This work can wait for a bit. The original worklist commit to Freeciv CVS
did not even have that kludge and lived without it for a long time.

---