Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6339) gtk2.0 client / 1.14.1beta: please re-add th

To: bh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6339) gtk2.0 client / 1.14.1beta: please re-add the 'buy' button on the overview screen
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 06:21:34 -0700

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Benoit Hudson wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 05:15:32PM -0700, John Wheeler wrote:
> > Since you now can sell buildings by double-clicking, how about
> > double-clicking to buy what's being produced?
>
> I don't like double-clicking for this: the production bar doesn't look
> like a GUI item to be clicked on, so I wouldn't think of doing so.  A
> button is far clearer for the novice.  What was the rationale for
> removing the button?

According to the GNOME HIG you should not have duplicated functionality
across the tabs of the same window. Originally I even removed the progress
bar from the city dialog overview pane.

Also, I noticed nearly no one actually used the worklists pane and the
change production button feature took more code than it was worth. This
way it uses less code and I get to force you to use the production pane so
you can see the game actually has worklists.

---