[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6007) Civ3: Different sea types

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6007) Civ3: Different sea types
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 08:39:37 -0700

Daniel L Speyer wrote:

> Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>

>>In civ3 there is three separate sea terrain types: Coast, Sea and Ocean.
>>Fresh water lake is also separate terrain type. Map generator should
>>support all this.
>>

>> - Caz
>>

> What do these dfferent types do?  I imagine coast is where triremes can
> safely rest, but what's the difference between sea and ocean?

  Certain units can safely travel only at coast squares. Yet another
group of units can travel safely at coast and sea squares, but not ocean
squares.
  Different sea types also affect trade. One can't trade over sea
squares until Astronomy is discovered and not over ocean squares until
either Magnetism or Navigation is discovered.
  Fresh water is required for irrigation.

> Not all of us have played civ3.  I have no objection to copying civ3's
> good ideas, but we need more detail for that.

  Well, I'm not saying that all ideas I'm typing in are good :)
I just type in all civ3 features that are impossible to implement using
current ruleset format. It's upto larger audience to decide which ones
are worth implementing and which ones are not.

  - Caz