[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Old patches

To: Josh Cogliati <jjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Old patches
From: Daniel L Speyer <dspeyer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:54:10 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Josh Cogliati wrote:

> I looked through the old patches in rt today.  The following were the oldest
> nine patches that are still either open or new.  #1803 should be switched
> to resolved/patch-applied since the ai cleanup is in cvs.
> The rest should probably be marked dead since the last real activity
> was generally at least 9 months ago.
>
> #1178 looks interesting, but since the first public reply occured *11 months*
> after the author submitted it, I am assuming the author dspeyer lost interest.

Well, mostly lost interest.  It's been so long, it's probably terribly out
of sync with the codebase, and would need recoding from scratch.  Even so,
every time barbarians land on my island and I know I have cavalry around
there somewhere, I think "why didn't I update that patch so that I'd have
a 'find nearest' button?"  AFAIK there was no real reason for it not to
go in.

> I am amazed at how many of these old patches seem to have been dropped without
> comment.

This seems to happen often.  Maybe we need to change the way we keep track
of patches.

--Daniel Speyer
If you *don't* consider sharing information to be morally equivalent to
kidnapping and murder on the high seas, you probably shouldn't use the
phrase "software piracy."

> Here is my list.
[snip]