[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5146) Re: Reputation is a fragile thing

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#5146) Re: Reputation is a fragile thing
From: "John Wheeler" <jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 18:57:36 -0700

--- Gregory Berkolaiko
<Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Per I. Mathisen wrote:
>
> > > And there is no warning before this happens!
> There should be, with a chance
> > > to cancel the diplomatic act.
> >
> > No, that is point - it is a risk you take when you
> have Democracy and
> > Republic. If you declare war (and reputation is
> lower than perfect), you
> > might fall into Anarchy.
>
> Maybe, in the patch you provided, if reppenalty > 0,
> you are in Rep/Dem
> and the Senate didn't dissolve _this_time_, there
> should be a warning
> message "Senate says: If you continue your current
> behaiour, there is a
> chance of the nation-wide civil unrest".

I think this solves the wrong problem.  What bothers
me is when I go away from the game for a bit, go to
center the map and when bad things start happening I
belatedly realize the focus was on the diplomacy
screen.  For such a consequential action what I would
really like to see is a Yes/No confirmation box to
ensure that canceling the treaty is what you really
wanted to do.  (I tried doing the patch myself but
discovered I'll need to delve more into GTK
programming.)

In the confirmation box I would think it wouldn't be
too hard if the player has a senate to remind him that
proceeding may cause a revolution.  Then there
shouldn't be any nasty surprises.

++JohnWheeler