Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4593) Diplomats

To: ggracian@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4593) Diplomats
From: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 15:15:31 -0700

> Hello,
>
> I've thought a bit about diplomats which are rather super-powerful
> attacking units with default options (diplchance 80). Used as
> attackers against cities, they can't (or very hardly) be countered.
> Used as defensors they are rather useless: if a defending dip in a
> city makes the chances of success for bribing the city be lowered to
> 64% instead of 80% this is still too much imho.

If 80%, 70%, 64% or even lower is the right number for
diplchance is disputable. My diplomats have been caught
a fair number of times when trying to bribe cities on the
standard settings. Most of the times a bribe will succeed
but not always. City bribes are not totally foolproof.

Of course the diplchance setting can always be changed
to once personal preferences.

> I don't know how diplomats work on civ2 but in the game i'd like to
> play such easy ways to take a city shouldn't exist or just be possible
> in certain limited cases.

In Civ2 the diplomats/spies always seem to succeed in
city bribes. Only against cities that have been "attacked"
by a diplomat before there's a chance to get caught.
Even then Freeciv's chances for a diplomat to get busted
are higher than in Civ2. Freeciv seems to have a far
bigger chance that the diplomat will be caught.

> Here what i think are super-powers:
>
> super-power 1: unlimited moves
>
> One thing which seems to be the bigger super-power is the ability of
> engaging an unlimited number of combats against a city regardless of
> the moves left for the attacking dip and without suffering any damage
> until the end of the contest.
>
> A lucky dip can bribe a city defended with several other ones in one
> round, engaging as much combat as needed against the defensors. For
> example 3 defending dips (which is rather unthinkable in term of
> affected prod) leave a 41% chance of taking the city for the attacker.
>

> Here is an example of an attacking dip far of two tiles from a
> targeted city (this city is defended with 3 dips):
>
> 1/ first the attacker uses one move to go to a adjacent tile of the
> target (on
>  move left)
>
> 2/ then a first combat is engaged against one of the defending dips
>  -> 100% chance to reach this stage, 80% chance to win
>
> 3/ a second combat against the 2nd defensor
>  -> 80% chances to reach this stage, 80% chances to win
>
> 4/ a third combat against the 3rd defensor
>  -> 64% chances to reach this stage, 80% chances to win
>
> 5/ a fourth combat against the city itself
>  -> 51% chances to reach this stage, 80% chances to win
>
>    -> 41% chances globally to win the contest
>
> In such a case, this behaviour makes the dip to have kind of 3 extra
> moves. Also, the dip isn't damaged by the several contests since it
> keeps its 80% winchance for each of them.

Isn't that the turning the argument upside down? The
diplomat isn't fighting with those other diplomats he's
trying to get past them!
Poit of fact is that the chances for a city bribe to succeed
have been dramatically lowered. It has to pass a number
of diplomats first before it can succeed. When the
diplomat is caught at any step he will be destroyed. Ergo
: the "attacking" (acting would be a better term)
diplomat is at risk all the way, he does not get a  triple
action bonus. Finally, seeing as the diplomat will be
destroyed at the end of a city bribe it  would be pointless
for a diplomat to get damaged midway.

> In comparison with that, a horse attacking a 3 warriors defended city
> has no chance : it needs one move to approach the city, then one move
> to attack and (possibly) kill the 1st warrior. After that no moves are
> left and no more combats can be engaged in the same round. The horse
> is by the way probably damaged which can make it easily killable by
> one of the 2 warriors left in the city or at least lowers its chances
> to win another combat against the city and reduces its ability of 2
> moves for the next rounds.
>

> super-power 2: ability of having 100% chances in aggressive actions
> regarless to diplchance
>
> These actions are:
> - bribe a unit
> - investigate city
>
> I don't remember exactly how "poison city water" works for spys so i
> cant speak about that.

The city population will drop one point and the spy has a
chance to escape to the nearest friendly city. However,
spies can also plant nukes. Which is far quicker way to
bring down the city population, although they have a
higher chance to get caught. Spies in that aspect are a
"poor mans"-nuclear missile.

> What could be done to counterbalance those super-powers is to :
>
> - limit the cases where a city is bribable

(A) One solution is the disabling city bribes altogether or
(B)  try the other solution that already exist in the game:
Increase your city size and gold reserves and try to reach
democracy as quickly as possible.

> - raise the efficiency of defending dips in a city (for example by
>   really taking a move to the attacker in a dip contest).
>
> - increase the risk in bribing a city (for example the cost is lost
> for
>   the attacker even if the city doesn't revolt)

Smaller cities would still be bribed but it would certainly
slow the bribing of larger cities (size 5 or higher). That
wouldn't be so bad I think....:-)

Cheers,

CapTVK