Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3990) moves_left becomes non-sane after unit upgra

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#3990) moves_left becomes non-sane after unit upgrade
From: "ChrisK@xxxxxxxx" <ChrisK@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:36:06 -0700

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 11:04:37AM -0700, Jason Short wrote:

> [ChrisK@xxxxxxxx - Sun Apr 13 16:16:12 2003]:
>
> > A settler with 1 MP, which is updated to engineer, and has still 1 MP
> > after the update, is not always able to move on a mountain top, because
> > it has only half move points respecting to an engineer.
> >
> > A general soulution to this problem might be, to give the updated unit
> > the same *percent* of move points as the obsolete unit has had.
>
> How about this?
>
> We scale the moves_left and the HP from the old unit to the new unit (so
> the % remains the same).  We round down, but are careful not to let the
> HP drop to 0.
>
> So for instance a unit may upgrade
>
>   HP 19/20  => 28/30
>   MP 3/4    => 4/6
>
>   HP 1/30   => 1/20 (don't die)
>   MP 1/2    => 0/1  (rounds down)

I read this, a unit with 1 of 2 possible MP has 0 MP after the 'upgrade'.
This is not good. Move points use to count 1/3 (0.333333~) wise. Can we
compute with 0.33~ MP? A (better) example would be:

    MP 2/3 of 1 => 4/3 of 2        (read / as divide operator)
    (Settler)   => (Engineer)

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/