Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: RT sucks

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: RT sucks
From: Paul Zastoupil <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 12:11:45 -0700

On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:53:16PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 11:12:16AM -0700, Paul Zastoupil wrote:

> > > Ticket content matches unit
> > > Results per page unlimited
> > > takes 130 seconds
> >
> > The database part of that query takes 7 seconds in a fresh DB.  .03~.04
> > seconds if its cached.  (I added some indexes, but none that would help
> > this particular query.)
>
> Thank you for looking into that. So it's not the disks.

No, the DB is running on the Ultra 2, with the data and indexes on the
A1000.  It does have to do full table scans though.  I might be able to
speed this up with text indexes on those tables, but it would require a
lot of recoding inside RT.  I'm not ready to tackle that now.

> > You also have a couple of other issues.  That query requires 518950
> > bytes in the response.  I'm not sure what your bandwidth to the RT
> > machine is, but thats going to take a while just to server that.  Of
>
> I have 60KB/sec when I load a picture from freeciv.org.

So, ~10 seconds for the DB, ~10 seconds for the network.
Leaves 110 seconds on the RT machine.

> > course, the machine also has to generate all that information, which
> > takes time.  We could look into getting a faster machine to run RT (it
> > is currently a 750Mhz Athlon).
>
> So Mike is right, a perl issue? Do you know what mainboard the machine has?

mod_perl, but most likely code inside RT.

> > I'm also looking at upgrading to RT3.  I don't know if that will help
> > or hurt.  But it requires a database upgrade (read: extended downtime),
> > so I haven't moved forward on it yet.

I'll try to get this running soon, but no promises.  I've been really
busy at work, and at home... well you can imagine ;)

SWG and a baby make for one busy sysadmin.  My advice, don't try this at
home...

--
Paul Zastoupil