Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4543) scaling overview map

To: andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4543) scaling overview map
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 17:58:54 -0700

--On Friday, July 11, 2003 17:44:46 -0700 "andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx"
<andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This patch allows scaling of the overview map, like in Civ2.
> It also sets a decent scale to the overview map when
> starting a new game, to handle very large/small maps.
> Comments?

Clever.  Only problem is the resizing of the pane does not go smoothly: the
pane "snaps" to a certain size to fit the size of the overview, and often
this is not a size the user would want.

This is with the GTK+-1.2 client.

Really, there are three parts to this patch: the common part sets the
overview tile size based on the map size; the gui-gtk part provides scaling
for gui-gtk and the gui-gtk-2.0 part likewise.

Another question: should OVERVIEW_TILE_HEIGHT==OVERVIEW_TILE_WIDTH?  In
general I think the ratio of the two should be comparable to the ratio of
NORMAL_TILE_HEIGHT an NORMAL_TILE_WIDTH.

 OVERVIEW_TILE_HEIGHT = (OVERVIEW_TILE_WIDTH * NORMAL_TILE_HEIGHT)
                         / NORMAL_TILE_WIDTH;

or something like that.

jason