Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4437) Gold upkeep

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4437) Gold upkeep
From: "remi.bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx" <remi.bonnet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:11:07 -0700

Rafa³ Bursig a écrit :

>Dnia 2003.06.24 09:09, Guest napisa³(a):
>

>>I have already send this patch in the freeciv-dev mailing list but
>>nobody has answered to me. So I post it here:
>>This is a revised patch which allow gold upkeep for units.
>>
>>Some errors revealed by Per have been fixed.
>>
>>I have updated the gtk-1.2 client. Now the economic report shows the
>>gold upkeeped units, the units report has a gold column and the city
>>dialog can display a small icon on the units which need gold. However,
>>the other clients still know nothing about gold upkeep.
>>
>>Note that now, there is two new fields needed in tilesets:
>>"upkeep.gold"
>>and "upkeep.gold2"
>>

>Hi
>
>Maybe I'm wrong but if you don't have money and units home city don't
>have improvments then supported units will be disbanded ?
>But you can have improvments in other cities (that can be sold) !
>
>Truly I don't like idea that improvments will be sold when you don't
>have money to unkeep units. (Maybe new client option which allow you
>that)

I think that having units is better than improvements in some case
(war). When the user make too many units in one city, we can assume that
he needs them. Another reason is that selling improvements give gold
while disbanding units give shields (I don't know if units with gold
upkeep (mercenaries) should have a different buy/sell behaviour: i.e.
can be buy easily (cost / 2) and are disbanded for gold instead.)
On the other hand, new players don't know much about upkeeps. That's why
this code stop selling improvement when there is no more improvements in
the home city: we have already sold many improvements and selling more
will probably have no effects.

I think we can discuss on that behaviour for a long time but I think
that there aren't many players who do nothing when they see the
"Warning: We are LOW on funds" message so normally this auto-selling
will not happen.

Remi Bonnet