Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch

To: ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#1870) FreecivAC: borders patch
From: "Ben Webb" <ben@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:54:03 -0700

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:05:44PM -0700, Jason Short wrote:
> The behavior of the new patch is better.  But:
>
> - The borders are still sometimes drawn in weird places.

The borders in 'seen' regions are always drawn in the correct places
(or, at least, they should be). You will see odd behaviour between fog
and non-fog though, simply because your information is limited.

> I think an omniscient POV would be better.

The previous patch did this. The difference between the two is only 10
lines of code or so, but I'm reluctant to code both and make it a server
option or similar, partly because we have plenty of rarely-used
options already, and additionally because it seems a bit pointless for
me to be fiddling with this prior to it going into CVS. If some kind of
consensus can be agreed upon, I can code it.

> - The borders should be drawn underneath units IMO.

Yes, I've noticed this too. This is a natural consequence of moving the
iso border drawing logic to common client code; the borders get drawn
either before everything else, or after everything else. This is fairly
trivial to fix (just call the iso border drawing routine from each
client's iso tile code) but is less elegant, partly because you need
some kind of hack to pass struct canvas_store back to common code from
each client. Is there some fundamental reason why the iso map code isn't
client-independent in the same way that the non-iso code is? (I also
notice that borders are not drawn in the iso city dialog map view,
presumably for similar reasons.)

        Ben
--
ben@xxxxxxxxxxx                 http://bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk/~ben/
"God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and