Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4420) New traderoute rules

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4420) New traderoute rules
From: "Geeslaka Geezonga" <geeslaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:16:50 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rafa³ Bursig" <bursig@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:58:42 -0700
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#4420) New traderoute rules

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003, at 17:58:42 -0700 Rafa Bursig wrote:
> Hi All
>
> This patch try implement some civ2 trade rules like :
> 1) when home city has max allowed traderoutes and new traderoute give
> homecity better result then smalest traderoute will be removed and new
> will be establish in this place.

Very good idea IMHO.

> 2) when dstcity has max allowed traderoutes and new traderoute give
> dstcity better result then smalest traderoute will be removed and new
> will be establish in this place.

Same idea as above.

> 3) you can all the time enter caravans to city and get gold and science
> bonus, even there is trade route estabilished. In this case you don't
> establish any traderoute only get this bonus (reduced -> bonus / 3 ).
> This make trade more important becouse you can get additional research
> speed using caravans.
> Only limit is min distance of both cities (8 tiles).

This might switch at least part of the production that players usually
concentrate on settlers to caravans.  Having the minimum distance for a trade
route be bigger (or a server option) could significantly reduce small-pox.

> Problems:
> - I don't want corrupt AI and can_establish_trade_route(...) still
> return FALSE when both city have established traderoute. In this case
> AI can't use 3) but can use 1) and 2).
> - All clients use this check ( can_establish_trade_route(...) ) then
> have this problem too.
>
> IMHO we need new check and menu option, something like :
> - can_enter_marketplace(...) will check distace limit.
> - "Enter Marketplace" or "Sell All Wares" when cities have established
> traderoute.

Good idea.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup