Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: building multiple units in a city

To: Geeslaka Geezonga <geeslaka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: building multiple units in a city
From: Raimar Falke <rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 11:48:28 +0200

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:50:38AM -0500, Geeslaka Geezonga wrote:

> I think that one way of reducing the effectiveness of ICS is to
> allow more than one project to be worked on in a city at a time.
>
> The number of projects that could be worked on simultaneously could
> be limited by the size of the city. e.g. with a size 2 city I could
> build a mech. inf. and a barracks III at the same time

> The shields for a city could be divided between projects according
> to a priority rating similar to the resource factors in the CMA.(BTW
> I think the slider should be a number box with up/down arrows to
> adjust the value) The projects in progress could be stored in an
> array (or vector for the c++ port)
>
> Also things should be left partially complete when production is
> changed.  This makes more sense, as is shown below.

> *Geeslaka impersonates a city manager reporting to the king*
> Yes, we had two of three pyramids finished, but they can be
> transmuted into legions quite easily, though at a substantial loss.
> *Geeslaka ends impersonation
> Partially completed (but not in progress) projects could be stored
> in a seperate array (or vector) from the in progress projects.
>
> A similar feature for research would IMHO be very cool.

This was proposed before but in a simpler version: if you finished the
production of an item in one turn the remaining shields are spent on
the next project. So a city with 33 shields suprplus could produce 3
warriors per turn. I think that this is a good idea and should be
implemented.

Space Empires has a checkbox "Distribute points equally" in the
research dialog. I haven't found a reason to use it since there is no
loss if you have a tech earlier.

For city production the only disadvantage would be the support costs
during the construction. So if you build 3 expensive units and you
currently would have them finished in turn 4, 8 and 12. So you would
have to pay 12 turns worth support. If you however produce them in
parallel all 3 would finish in turn 12 and you would have to pay 0
turns of support. IMHO this is bad since it imbalance the game for no
obvious reason.

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx