Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: June 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4372) Missile carriers with limited fuel always cr

To: Cameron Morland <Cameron@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Joseph Ennis <ennisj471@xxxxxxxxx>, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4372) Missile carriers with limited fuel always crash
From: Ross Wetmore <rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:42:59 -0400

On the otherhand, one does not store aircraft on a carrier in a fully
armed state. This is generally considered to be unsafe as well as
inefficient when multiple armed modes are possible. Thus all arms
are unloaded and stored separately to be reloaded only at mission time.

Cheers,
RossW
=====

Cameron Morland wrote:
[...]
??? I can't see why this should be true, and as far as I can tell it
isn't true; I have an aircraft carrier (8 units), a figher modified to
carry 2 missiles, and 9 missiles. So the carrier carries 1 figher and
7 missiles, and the fighter carries 2 more missiles. If I add another
missile, it runs out of fuel.

You're right that putting 8 of my fighters would permit me to carry 16
missiles, but I don't see that this is a problem, if it's considered
when designing the ruleset.

If you were to think of this, for example, as a helicopter with 2
sidewinder missiles, it makes sense that the aircraft carrier can seem
to carry a very large number of missiles. It carries the choppers, and
they individually carry their missiles. - --