Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4225) mingw32 & libiconv problem

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4225) mingw32 & libiconv problem
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 15:32:17 -0700

Per I. Mathisen wrote:
> On Tue, 13 May 2003, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>I disagree with the #ifndef WIN32_NATIVE part.Win32 will have just as
>>much trouble with character conversion as the rest of us, right?And
>>they should be able to get binary versions of iconv anyway, rather than
>>be forced to compile from source.
>>
>>For win32 users, this message may be more useful to packagers.When you
>>run the compiled product, you'll see the warning and know that you need
>>to link against iconv.
>

> That doesn't help when linking against iconv doesn't work. BTW, I may be
> mistaken about iconv working without --disable-nls. I'll look into this
> later.

All I'm saying is that the win32 user's situation isn't any different
from, say, the Red Hat user's situation.  If you compiled your Freeciv
from source, you should probably be told to make sure to compile with
iconv.  If you used a precompiled binary, you probably won't do this
anyway - but your distributor should.

jason