Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4200) two bugfixes to intelligence

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4200) two bugfixes to intelligence
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 13:26:48 -0700

On Sun, 11 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:
> from common/tech.h:
>
>  A_NONE is the root tech. All players always know this tech. It is
>  used as a flag in various cases where there is no tech-requirement.
>
> This would mix things again. We seperated A_* usage some months ago.

It does not mix anything. It fits the bill exactly. All you know that
player X has, is A_NONE.

> So I change my opinion to: I'm for A_LAST or a new A_NOINFO (or
> similar).

Then we have to change 1) all clients and 2) tech.c. Then you make this a
very big issue. I don't want to do that.

If we send A_LAST or A_NOINFO, or anything other than A_NONE since it
alone is a valid tech in this case, then the clients and client AIs have
to special case this to avoid assert failures if they try to use this
info. If we send A_NONE then no special casing will be needed. It does no
harm to think player X is researching A_NONE. This is defensive
programming.

  - Per