Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wiki page for Freeciv manual

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: "T.J.T van Kooten" <thomas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv I18n <freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: Wiki page for Freeciv manual
From: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 22:23:20 +0200

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 03:14:18PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 12:24:03PM +0200, T.J.T van Kooten wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Here's an idea on how to improve and keep the Freeciv manual up to
> > date: "Create a Freeciv manual WIKI page"
>
> Seems a very good idea to me.  Unfortunately my project to explore some
> wikis (for other purposes) will be limping on for some time.  When I
> select one we can also use it for Freeciv.
>
> Alternatively we can add wiki-like features to the existing manual.
> Perhaps that is even better.

I think documentation needs to be improved in quantity, accessability,
integration, localization. That means (to me) better structure of web doc,
adding docs only available as text right now, easy ways to translate it part
by part (not big html pages as it is now). I was dreaming about an xml
system to achieve this, but wasn't able to present anything material yet.

Maybe a wiki can help, at least with quantity ... I don't know with the
other goals.

Whatever wiki we use, it is IMHO necessary to integrate the existing
information there. Do everything in one place ... oops, wrong firm.

A good prove of the lack of docs is here:

http://www.freeciv.org/poll.phtml

Christian

--
Christian Knoke     * * *      http://www.enter.de/~c.knoke/