Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv-Dev] Never-Ending Spacerace

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Freeciv-Dev] Never-Ending Spacerace
From: Joseph Ennis <ennisj471@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 07:28:55 -0700 (PDT)

--- Mark Metson <markm@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would like an option allowing the game to have the
> spacerace but to not
> end when someone reaches the destination
> star/planet.

I like the concept, but I think it would be better to
start smaller, like with the moon. After Apollo, all
players with sufficient tech can build lunar modules
and go colonize the moon.

By going to the moon, you keep a large amount of
realism, since lunar expeditions are reasonable, and
your earth government would be able to reasonably
control the lunar colony. Also, you could build
space-based weapons on the moon to attack enemy cities
on the earth. This way you're not re-starting freeciv
once you reach the destination, but continue to have a
direct effect on the game.

You could create a realistic tileset to match the
terrain of the moon, or you could even have multiple
moons with different terrains -- model one after the
moon, Io, Europa, Titan, etc.

Lunar warriors would have a good atttack number, but
poor defense. Lunar engineers could require two
resoures and only one food, and they could have more
advanced terraforming powers. And you could launch a
space invasion against a enemy. Lunar cities would
have  a lower level of corruption, since they may
depend on the parent government for support.

--Andrew E.