Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: What we can learn from MOO3

To: freeciv development list <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: What we can learn from MOO3
From: Greg Wooledge <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 18:58:02 -0400

Raimar Falke (rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

> Alan can you answer me some questions about the game? Starting from
> the middle I had money problems. At 3/4 of the game it was something
> like this: I collected 700 with taxes, 100 with traderoutes (they have
> limited the number at the start. I had no idea how to increase it even
> when I hold 60% of the global might).

1) You can get more trade routes by researching the "yellow" line of
   techs.

2) Trade techs to other civilizations for money.  I find it's
   generally best to go for "X gold per month for Y months" rather
   than a lump sum up front.  But this also means you have to check
   every turn to see if your "tribute" payments have dried up.

> In my home sector I had 4 planets (lucky) and I
> build 2 full star bases. Not enough or too many star bases.

There are many different starbase improvements depending on your
tech level.  Some of them increase your production, which means you
would have to pay additional money to be able to *use* the full
production.  A similar concept applies to the research boosts.
Without a lot of active, profitable trade routes you're not going
to be able to run your economy at full speed.  But that may be OK.

> So what I
> made it selling my techs to the AI. I got deals like 750 for 30 turns
> which was quite nice for 2-3 high techs.

Yup. ;-)

greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx              |    - The Red Hot Chili Peppers
http://wooledge.org/~greg/     |