Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2003:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4111) Client-side AI

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4111) Client-side AI
From: "Gregory Berkolaiko" <Gregory.Berkolaiko@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 05:14:40 -0700

On Fri, 2 May 2003, Raimar Falke wrote:

> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:57:51PM -0700, rwetmore@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Afterall, what is a CMA but a crutch for a human who can't do the
> > complex computations nearly as quickly. CMA in the server or CMA in
> > the client makes no practical difference to its computed result or
> > way in which it is used.
>
> Here you forgot one fundamental advantage: flexibility. If you change
> the CMA you don't have to update the servers. If for example the
> support for unhappy cities is added you don't have to update all
> servers at pubserver. You only have to update the clients. If CMA was
> a server thing you would have to update both server (obviously) and
> client (add another button or scale to the GUI).

Although this is more related to "server-side agents" than to "client-side
AI", I cannot stop myself from sharing this idea:
we can develop an "agent protocol" where at the connection time the server
informs the client what sort of agents it has, sends the GUI specs to the
client (like "slide button named Production Weight, check-box
named Celebrate, check-box named Self Destroy on Size 8; tied to a city").
The client then dynamically makes up the dialogue, user fills in the
values, client sends them over, server applies.

G.